We’re hearing a lot of chatter in the community about an increase in vehicle burglaries, so we’ve compiled some information to help you prevent break-in’s before they happen, as well as tips on what to do if a break-in occurs
Stay up to date with what’s going on in your neighbourhood – Check out current trends by visiting the Hamilton Police Community Crime Map
The Hamilton Police Service gives the following tips to help prevent vehicle burglaries:
- Always remove the keys, roll up the windows and lock your vehicle when it’s unattended.
- Do not leave valuable items in your vehicle; however, if this is unavoidable, ensure valuables are concealed from plain view.
- Don’t leave personal identification and credit cards in your vehicle.
- Park in well lit areas – if you park in your driveway or carport, try to leave the outside lights on home throughout the night, or install a motion light.
- Do not leave a garage door opener in your vehicle – this may provide the suspect access into your home.
- Consider installing an alarm/anti-theft device on your vehicle.
If you vehicle has been broken into you’ll need to contact your local police service. Hamilton residents should call 905-546-4925 or you can file a report online. Halton residents can also file a report online by clicking here.
When filing a report, be sure to have the following information available:
- Plate number
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Insurance company & policy number
- Telephone number
- List of missing contents from the vehicle
After you’ve filed a report, contact your preferred local collision center for a quote to repair the damage – You can get a quick, no obligation quote by clicking here
Then, if you’re going to make an insurance claim, contact your insurer with a list of missing items and proof of purchase